Roasted Lemon Turkey with Mixed Herbs Recipe
- Prepare: 45 minutes. Cook: 2 hours and 45 minutes serves: 8 Ingredients:
• 4kg whole turkey.
• 250g unsalted butter, softened.
• 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped.
• 2 bunches fresh thyme.
• 3 lemons.
• 2 brown onions, peeled, quartered.
• 6 fresh bay leaves.
• 1 garlic bulb, halved.
• 2 cups chicken stock.
• Extra fresh bay leaves, to serve.
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Remove and discard neck from turkey. Pat dry inside and out with paper towel. Combine butter and parsley in a bowl. Remove leaves from 8 thyme sprigs (you’ll need 2 tablespoons leaves). Finely grate rind from 2 lemons (you’ll need 2 tablespoons rind). Cut all 3 lemons into quarters. Set aside. Add thyme leaves and lemon rind to butter mixture. Stir to combine. Gently push 3/4 of the butter mixture between the skin and turkey breast. Rub skin to help evenly distribute butter mixture.
2. Loosely fill neck cavity with 2 each of lemon quarters, onion wedges, bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Using toothpicks, secure skin over neck cavity to enclose. Fill large cavity with 5 remaining lemon quarters, 1 garlic half, 4 remaining onion wedges, and remaining bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Secure skin over cavity with toothpicks. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Tuck wings under turkey.
3. Place turkey on a greased wire rack in a large flameproof roasting pan. Rub all over with remaining butter mixture. Pour stock into pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pan tightly with lightly greased foil. Roast turkey for 1 hour. Remove foil. Roast for a further 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Add remaining lemon, garlic and onion around turkey. Roast for 45 minutes, basting frequently with pan juices, or until golden and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer. Cover with foil. Stand for 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter.
4. Transfer pan juices to a gravy boat. Remove and discard string and toothpicks. Serve turkey with pan juices and extra bay leaves.
Courteousy of Taste.com.au